I believe that everyone goes through some level of depression in their lives. Whether its dealing with a death in the family, or all the way to the extreme of having a mental illness. I don't quite understand myself why the teenage years are the hardest, but it sure seems like it. These years are filled with finding yourself, meeting new people, making new friends, finding out who your real friends are, learning about drugs and alcohol, being exposed to things that were hidden from you when you were "too young". It seems like all of these things are thrown on our plate at once, and we all pick different things to chew on first, and throw away the things that don't look appealing. And to put a cherry on that sundae, we see what adults act like in real life, and then there is the media. We hear songs about wanting to have sex, or about someone's friend cheating on you with their best friend, or songs about how fun it is to do drugs and get drunk at the same time (I have no clue if any of those song scenarios are true, I'm just making shit up but I'm most likely correct.)
Another thing we deal with is self image, and learning to accept ourselves for who we are and what we look like. I think the media plays in a part of this too, as well as parents. I know I have at least three blogs posted about the media and shit, and accepting yourself so I won't get on this too much, but I believe its one of the hardest things most teenagers deal with. I also believe that it's crucial for people to accept themselves. If you think about it, you were born with the body you have, you can't trade in bodies, so you mind as well make the best of it and take care of yourself so you can be healthy, which makes you happy. It's just really hard to get to that point. I know adults who haven't accepted their bodies, or themselves yet, and just imagine how care free and fun their lives would have been when they were younger if they had accepted themselves.
Like I said before, I believe that everyone goes through some form of depression some time in their life. It could be environmental (someone died, parents are alcoholics, you get bullied at school, etc.), or it could be chemical (someone in your family suffers from a mental illness and it is controlled by medication because it is the chemicals in your body), and when it gets really bad, people become suicidal, and when that happens it can be hard to convince that person that things get better, so I'm here typing you these words to tell you that things do get better. There is hope, you just have to find it. I know that may sound dumb if you haven't found it, but when you do, you will understand what I'm trying to tell you. All of these things thrown at us are tests, and there is no correct answer to any of them; life is basically like a choose your own adventure game.
I digress. Basically what I'm saying is to:
1) Don't give in to peer pressure
2) Accept yourself for who YOU are
3) Take care of your body, if you are physically healthy, that will make you mentally healthy also.
4) Don't watch that much tv
That's basically it for today.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment