Monday, February 23, 2009

Bullying: The Epidemic

I hate bullies. I really do. I don't understand, well I do understand

why they do it, but it pisses me off that either a) their home lives

are so bad that they have to take it out on other children or b) their

parents didn't teach them that picking on people is wrong. I was

bullied when I was in elementary school. It was because I was

overweight, and yeah, I knew I was and didn't need a fuckton of other

kids telling me I was every single day! I have been thinking a lot

about my past today, mostly about how bad I was bullied and I remember

this one time this kid in my grade, who has tourettes so I wasn't as

offended as I would normally be, asked me if I was pregnant in music

class. Everyone who heard laughed. I said I had to go to the bathroom

and I cried for a really long time. I also remember when we had to run

in gym, a different kid would always pick on me and said I looked like

a fat pig trying to run, then he squealed and yelled, "run little

piggy, run!" Yep. I got a lot of shit from a lot of people. It was

great! Except for not really! All right. Enough bad memories.


There are kids/teens who have been bullied to death. Yeah, they

actually committed suicide because they were bullied that bad. Part of

me thinks its stupid that they killed themselves, but at the same time,

they probably developed depression and felt like they were worthless. I

know thats what happened to me. A part of my depression came from being

bullied when I was in elementary school. I had one friend, and even she

wouldn't talk to me during school because she was embarrissed to be my

friend. I convinced myself that I was worthless. Thinking back on it

now, those assholes destroyed my self esteem and quite frankly I didn't

deserve it. I did nothing to them. So what? I was fat, they're the

shallow ones that are so low they won't be friends with the fat chick.

They didn't know me, they didn't even give me a chance. They picked on

me to make themselves feel better. "I think I'm fat so I'm going to

pick on someone fatter than me so I feel better about myself." Yep,

that will work! Anything to make the selfish little fucking brat feel

better.

I remember there was a girl a grade below me who was morbidly obese who

got picked on so much more than I did, and to this day she still gets

picked on. I won't pick on her and I got picked on for standing up for

her. I remember people referred to her as "It". They would be in the

hallways and say "Run! IT's coming!" It was horrible. The principal got

involved and went to every class and talked to us about picking on her.

I was so disgusted with the people who would say, "I have never picked

on her but I hate it when I hear people that do pick on her, it's so

mean!" when about a half an hour ago, they were right there with

everyone else, bullying her. It made me sick. There is probably

bullying going on in my high school, especially the middle school which

is right in our high school. I remember when I got into middle school.

I had lost weight because I became a vegetarian and other various

reasons, so the kids who picked on me didn't know what to say so they

started rumors that I was a lesbian. Mmkay. Yep. Thats it. No one

fucking liked me in elementary school because of them! Why would anyone

admit they liked the kid who was being picked on? They don't want to

get picked on either and hey, I understand that. My childhood sucked,

and it being bullied was the cherry on top of it. Bullies make me sick.

No one deserves to be bullied, I hope that the people who bullied me

never get bullied because it sucks. I want it to stop, but I know I

can't make it stop. I am not enough to make it stop, I would be if I

was famous, but I'm not. The more aware people are about bullying when

it happens, the faster we can catch it. I don't want my little sister

to go through what I did, or to bottle it up and let it eat away at her

self esteem like I did. I don't want anyone to do that because no one

deserves that, I don't deserve it and neither do bullies. I just

thought I would share what's on my mind today and I plan to turn this

idea into a personal essay for Humanities 9. Now here is a video for

you to watch, I hope you cry like I did:


http://www.youtube.com/wat..ch?v=6Wcx2qM5C4g

No comments: