Sunday, May 10, 2009

Just What We All Need, More Lies About Our World.

I am ashamed of my natural hair color. A majority of you know what my natural hair color is, and don't really understand why I am ashamed of it. I am a natural blonde and I am ashamed of it because blondes get labeled as the stupid, ditsy, dull girls with big boobs. Plenty of young adult women and teens are striving to be beautiful and perfect, and gain attention from the opposite gender, when really all they're doing is making a fool out of themselves. Women, trying to get high into the workforce, using their sex appeal to get attention from their boss.

Its fucking ridicules! It's degrading! It makes all the other women in this world look bad. Men start to automatically assume that the majority of us are automatically easy and stupid. They talk to you with patronizing voices, treating you like a child or some toy. There are people in the world that portray women as people that can only do well in the world by selling their bodies. There are 8 year old girls going around and dressing like really fake, cheesy, slutty female cracker-box idols like Britney Spears. Every time a cool rock chick or actress seems to respect themselves as a strong woman, I get excited and think maybe there will be some change in what the media portrays women to be. And then they start to go downhill and people aren't paying attention anymore, so they start stripping their clothes off, because that's all they have left, and that's wrong.

There is so much more to a woman than just their sex appeal. Believe it or not, the majority of us are actually smart! *gasp!* And, you might not believe this one, but we can play sports, and have opinions too! Is this too much for you to handle?

One thing I'm not proud of is the fact that I struggled with an eating disorder, and I believe that the media's image of what I "should" look like played a part in that. I will never be good enough for the media, I will never be pretty enough, skinny enough, even smart enough for them, and neither will you. No matter hard anyone tries, they won't. The pictures you see in magazines have been played with so much to look "perfect" when in reality, those women don't really look like that. I am so sick of spending the majority of my life trying to live up to people's expectations of what I should do in life. People, including my parents, told me that I should do basketball my whole life because I'm tall. I almost played basketball this year, but then realized I was doing it because someone told me to, not because I wanted to, so I quit before it even started. I got a lot of shit from people, especially some of my friends, but I wasn't doing it for me, and thats not ok.

I promise myself that I will stay true to my nature, I refuse to cheapen myself by using sex appeal to get places in life. I will never buy into the mainstream notions of sexiness. I refuse to tart myself up or show a lot of skin just to draw attention to myself. It's sad to see girls do that to themselves. I wish I could say that I believe things will change in my lifetime, but I don't think thats possible.

Here are some celebrities that agree with me, and are trying to make a difference:

Pink - Stupid Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oGBvN3rAi0

Evanescence - Everybody's Fool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewO5NWQ97sI

No comments: